|Multinational operations » Ongoing multinational operations » Afghanistan|
Currently, Lithuania's key focus is the civilian-military mission Provincial Reconstruction Team in Ghor province operated under the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan since summer 2005.They key task of the mission is to assist the Afghan Government in expanding its authority in the province, to ensure security and to facilitate conditions for provincial reconstruction. Currently, a major attention is paid to the training projects of the Afghan National Security Forces as part of the NATO ISAF strategy in Afghanistan.
At the moment the 16th rotation of Chaghcharan PRT are pursuing the mission's
tasks in Ghor. The rotation is formed mainly by the volunteer troops of the 8th Territorial Unit of the Didžioji Kova Military District of the National Defence Volunteer Force. Lithuania plans transferring the responsibility for security in Ghor onto the Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF) and withdrawing from the province of Ghor by the end of 2013. The final PRT rotation, the PRT-17, will be manned by the General Romualdas Giedraitis Artillery Battalion of the Mechanised Infantry Brigade "Iron Wolf".
Lithuanian military personnel at the compound of the PRT in Chaghcharan serve along Georgian and Ukrainian servicemembers. The United States of America, Denmark and Croatia have already pulled out their capabilities from the PRT. The Civilian Element of the PRT is manned by Lithuanian, Japanese and U.S. bureaus representing their respective governments and implementing development cooperation programs and projects. A European Union Police Mission (EUPOL) unit functions at Chaghcharan PRT compound delivering training, advice and support to local law ensurement institutions. The EUPOL team in Chaghcharan is staffed by Lithuanian, Polish, Finnish, Czech, and Croatian military personnel.
Other detachments of the Lithuanian Armed Forces are also deployed in Afghanistan:
- The Lithuanian Special Operations Forces Squadron contributes to the peacekeeping ISAF mission in southern Afghanistan.
- Lithuanian military are also deployed in Kandahar where a Lithuanian-led multinational Air Mentoring Team (AMT) provides training for Afghan helicopter pilots and technical maintenance specialists.
- Lithuanian military personnel are posted to the ISAF Headquarters in Herat and Kabul.
- Lithuanian military also serve in the National Support Element in charge of coordination of logistic provision of all the Lithuanian military personnel deployed to Afghanistan.
- Two Lithuanian-led mentoring teams are based in the capital of Ghor, Chaghcharan: the Military Advisory Team (MAT) and the Operational Coordination Centre Advisory Team (OCCAT).
- The Protection Group of the Lithuanian Special Mission is based in Kandahar.
Approximately 200 service members of Lithuania are deployed in Afghanistan to date.