Lithuanian Armed Forces
Go to starting pageSitemap Lietuviškai For the disabled

 

 

Expositions

Soldiership in prehistoric Lithuania
2012-06-05
img

The exposition introducers to the viewer the evidence of the course of prehistoric martial evolution in Lithuania - since the oldest times when the present Lithuania's territory was inhabited by the first settlers till the formation of state stage (the 11th millennium BC - the first half of the 13th millennium). The martial history is divided into three stages: the Stone Age (11 000 - 2000 BC), the early Metal Age (2000 BC - 0 BC) and the Iron Age (Ist- first half of the 13th century). Tools-weapons made of flint, bone or horn that were used in the Stone Age, and proper weapons that appeared in the end of the Stone Age and the beginning of the Bronze Age, such as stone war axes, maces, flint arrow heads of various shapes, spearheads, are displayed. A model of Žemaitiškės 1 A settlement with defensive walls dated 2600-2100 BC tells about armed conflicts between local population and vagabonds of other cultures. Bronze axes, spearheads of various types and a drawing of a reconstruction of Narkūnų mound with buildings and entrenchment as one of the first objects with defensive orientation are presented in the exposition for the early metal period.

null
Martial history of the Great Duchy of Lithuania (LGD) in the 13-17th centuries
2011-06-08
img

Development of soldiership in GDL in the 13-17th centuries is presented in the GDL Soldiership History Hall. Exhibits evidence that the quality of weapons Lithuanian warriors used was equal to that of neighbouring areas' warriors. From the13th to the beginning of the 16th century they used imported or local craftsmen-made sabers, combat knives, axes, spears and lances, arrows, bows and crossbows. As early as in the beginning of the 14th century gunpowder-based weapons - bombards - were used. In the part of the exposition for the 16-17th centuries the effect of foreign lands on the GDL martial development is illustrated.  Mercenaries from Western Europe served in the GDL forces as early as the beginning of 16th century (heavy infantry), hussars came from Central Europe, the Petihora forces - from the foot of the Caucasus, Cassocks - from the steppes of Ukraine. Their best qualities and weaponry was intercepted , adjusted to local conditions, improved, and turned into the national cultural own. It is proved by the uncovered remains of arms, weapons and equipment. The exposition also include engravings of famous war leaders (hetmans), battles, historical GDL maps. Walls of the hall are decorated with battle-pieces reflecting the most essential victories of the GDL forces of the period (the Battle of Tannenberg - 1410, the Battle of Orsha - 1514, the Battle of Kircholm - 1605). Viewers will also have an opportunity to see several reconstructions: a model of a Crusader assault on the Castle of Kaunas in 1361 and warriors of the beginning of the 15th century and the beginning of the 16th century (full posture, in arms and weaponry typical to that period).

null
Chapel of Vytautas
2011-06-07
img

Exposition at the chapel of Vytautas was creaed with an intention to reconstruct the spirit of the 4th decade of the 20th century. The majority of objects in the exposition were there 70 years ago as well. The statue of Vytautas the Great,custom-made by one of the most renown Lithuania’s sculptors Vladas Grybas in 1934, occupies the central position. Portraits of Lithuania’s sovereigns painted by famous interwar artists (J. Mackevičius, P. Kalpokas, V. Didžiokas, J. Janulis, J. Vienožinskis, etc.) are displayed in the main hall of the museum. Gallery of the Lords includes 30 portraits starting with King Mindaugas and ending with Stanislovas Augustas Poniatovskis, the last King of Poland and Grand Duke of Lithuania. Paintingsof the most important battles before and during the rule of Vytautas (Saulės Battle , 1236, by A. Krūka; Durbės Battle, 1260, by V. Norkus; Mūšis near the Blue Waters, 1362, by P. Griušys; The Battle of Tannenberg, 1410, by I. Rudolfas (a copy of the painting by J. Mateika) are hung nearby). The hall also accommodates one of the most valuable pieces of art kept in the Vytautas the Great War Museum - the painting “Vytautas’ Oath” by J. Styka (1901), artistically displayed cannons used by the LGD forces in the end of the 16th century and the beginning of the 17th century, armor sets of the 15th-16th centuries.

null
Exposition of the Great Hall
2011-06-06
img

The Great Hall was reopened to public after reconstruction on 11 February 2010. Walls are decorated with portraits of Lithuania’s sovereigns and paintings of the most influential battles. History of the Lithuanian Armed Forces is reflected by the exposition and the reconstructed royal flag of the ruler of Lithuania-Poland Augustus II. It took two years for textile master Bronė Neverdauskienė to reconstruct it. The original flag is kept in Stockholm, War Museum of Sweden as Sweden’s trophy from the Northern War. The Great Wall exhibits objects from a variety of epochs. Visitors have the opportunity to familiarize with the history of the museum as well as with values long kept in fund treasuries: “Didysis artilerijos menas” (“The Great Art of Artillery”) written by Kazimieras Simonavičius in 1676 in German, unique and rare archeological findings, rich collection of halberds and spontoons. Items and pictures from the period beginning with 1940, when occupant forces invaded Lithuania and began the tragic decimation of Lithuanian officers and their families. Visitors will see weapons of Lithuanian’s occupant forces and Lithuania’s guerilla fighters, pistol-machine guns constructed in the already independent Lithuania “Vladas” and “Vytis”, and many other pieces. Photos: 1- Exposition of the Great Hall. 2 – Archeological findings. 3 – the most interesting museum pieces. 4 – Weapons not seen often on display. 5 – Service dress of war disabled of the War Museum. A trumpet and pique with a small flag. 1923-1927.

null
Chapel of the Killed for Lithuania’s Freedom
2011-06-05

The chapel (designed by M. Dobužinskis) was opened on 23 November 1938. The walls and ceiling of the chapel were covered in black marble. White marble plates on the walls bear gold-colored inscriptions of the names and death dates of the officers, soldiers, riflemen and partisans killed for the freedom and independence of Lithuania. During the soviet occupation the chapel was closed, it was restored and reopened on 23 Novembers 1998.

null
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 
Sprendimas: Fresh Media