Lithuanian Armed Forces
Go to starting pageSitemap Lietuviškai For the disabled

 

 

History

History

January 19, 2000 - establishing of Artillery Project Co-ordination Group (Director of the group Lieutenant Colonel  Vygantas Bukauskas).

August 12, 2000 - approving the Artillery Battalion structure and manning list by the decree of the Minister of National Defense. Since January 1, 2001 - Artillery Battalion structure and manning list came into force.

May 29, 2001 - approving the Artillery Battalion insignia and the bow.

June 18, 2001 - Lieutenant Colonel Vygantas Bukauskas, director of the Co-ordination Group of Artillery Project was assigned as a commander of Artillery Battalion.

September 25, 2002 - Denmark transferred to Lithuanian Armed Forces weaponry and enginery, modern observation equipment, a considerable quantity of ammunition. 

January 2002 - January 2003 - command group officers, weaponry officers, logistics specialists were trained in Danish Army Artillery and Logistics School.

January 31, 2003 - by the decree of Minister of National Defense Artillery Battalion was attached to Motorized Infantry Brigade "Iron Wolf".

July 2003 - December 2003 - junior officers' and specialists' training course in Artillery Battalion.

May 2004 - January 2005 - training of compulsory military service soldiers was held in Artillery Battalion.

April 30, 2004 - by the decree of Minister of National Defense Artillery Battalion was named after General Romualdas Giedraitis.

March 16, 2005 - Lieutenant Colonel Rimantas Šiurys was assigned as a commander of General Romualdas Giedraitis Artillery Battalion.

August 1, 2008 - Major Alvydas Šiuparis was assigned as a Commander of General Romualdas Giedraitis Artillery Battalion.

February 12, 2009 - the last crop of compulsory initial military service soldiers was retired

April 15, 2009 - Artillery Battalion soldiers went to the peacekeeping operation in Afghanistan in the strength of  PAG-9.

April 20, 2009 - Artillery Battalion Commander Major Alvydas Šiuparis was granted a Lieutenant Colonel military rank.

December 16, 2009 - Artillery Battalion soldiers returned from the peacekeeping operation in Afghanistan, battle flag was designated.

September 27, 2010 - Major Tomas Masaitis was assigned as a commander of General Romualdas Giedraitis Artillery Battalion.

February 15, 2012 - Artillery Battalion Commander Major Tomas Masaitis was granted a Lieutenant Colonel military rank.

May 2013 - Artillery Battalion soldiers went from peacekeeping operation in Afghanistan in the strength of PAG-17.

September 2013 - Artillery Battalion soldiers returned from the last peacekeeping operation in Afghanistan, battle flag was designated second time.

November 24, 2015 - 158 conscripts came to General Romuladas Giedraitis Artillery Battalion.

January 13, 2016 - Comamander of General Romualdas Giedraitis Artillery Battalion was given rank of lieutenant colonel.

June 24, 2016 - In the General Romualdas Giedraitis Artillery battalion arrived first 155 mm howitzers PzH2000. 

Lithuanian History of Artillery
Artillery is one of the oldest branches of the armed forces. In its long history the artillery was the main source of the fire in the units, determining the victories during land and sea battles dealing with tactical and even strategic tasks.
Artillery Battalion continues traditions of the Lithuanian artillery dating back to the medieval times. Written sources indicate that the Lithuanian army used the first bombardier in
1382. In April of the same year the Lithuanian Grand Duke Kęstutis led troops to Jurbarkas to seize a castle, and used bombardiers.  At the end of the 14th and the beginning of the 15th centuries the Lithuanian Armed Forces seizing or defending castles widely used bombards. Vytautas the Great, while attacking Novgorod in 1428 brought one of the largest bombard in the world at that time, the team of 40 horses, as stated. Unfortunately, the bombard has exploded.  
Since the 16th century Lithuanian army began to use artillery not only in seizing castles, cities and in defence but in open battle as well. In the 16th and the 17th centuries firearms foundries were operating in
Vilnius and Valkininkai. Perhaps for the arms foundry traditions in Lithuania an artillery engineer Kazimieras Semenavičius was known in Europe.  

The beginning of the twentieth century Lithuanian Artillery traditions could be dated in 1919 when in Aukštoji Panemunė, Kaunas the German army handed two Russian three-inch guns produced in 1902. Artillery units were formed very rapidly. Four artillery batteries fought with the Bolsheviks in Daugavpils front in summer of 1919. Gunners took part in the Independence fight in all fronts.
During the interwar period there were four artillery regiments in
Lithuania. Each of them has three Artillery Groups (Divisions). There were 2 - 3 batteries in the group with 2 to 4 guns in each. About two-thirds of the weapons in flocks were 75 mm caliber light field guns, and one-third - 105 mm caliber howitzers. The main traction force for the artillery guns was horses. Cannon balls were produced in Linkaičiai.  
In
1940 when Lithuania was occupied by Soviet troops, artillery assets went to the occupiers. Many artillerymen participated in the post-war partisan struggles; the most prominent of them was Lithuanian Liberation Movement Chairman of the Presidium, General Jonas Žemaitis - Vytautas.

                                                                      
 

Artilery in Kaunas 1937.

Photo from GRG AB archive.

 


 

 
 
 
 

 
 
 

 

Updated on: 2018-08-09
Sprendimas: Fresh Media