Lithuanian Armed Forces
Go to starting pageSitemap Lietuviškai For the disabled

 

 

Grand Duchess Birutė Uhlan Battalion (BUB)

Grand Duchess Birute Uhlan Battalion deployed in Alytus (southern part of Lithuanian Republic)

is a unit of the Land Force.

 

 

Uhlan is an intelligent warrior, fast-acting in battlefield, instantly taking decisions making number of moves ahead of the enemy. Uhlans in the military service are guided by armed forces values; try to ingrain them in their families and in the civilian environment. Grand Duchess Birutė Uhlan Battalion is part of the largest Lithuanian Land Force Unit - Mechanized Infantry Brigade "Iron Wolf". The battalion is deployed in Alytus.
At the end of the XVIII c. when czarist Russia occupied Lithuania, Alytus became the frontier fortress of the Russian Empire. At the end of the XIX c. brick barracks were built in Alytus and 28th Artillery Brigade was deployed. After restoration of the independent Lithuanian State, the 4th Artillery Regiment was deployed in the barracks area, since 1926 to 1939 2nd Uhlan Regiment was deployed in Alytus. The name of Grand Duches Birutė was granted to the regiment on 30 September 1926. Since fatal for Lithuania 1940 until very 1993 Soviet Armed Forces dominated in the barracks.
In the course of 1992 when foreign troops were still deployed in Alytus barracks, motorized airborne company was founded; in 1993 on the basis of this company was formed Motorized Infantry Battalion, on 19 September 1994 battalion was granted the name of Grand Duchess Birutė, the battalion was allowed to take over traditions and symbols of the former 2nd Uhlan Regiment . On 14 November the same year combat flag was granted to the battalion.
In 1998 an agreement regarding joint Lithuanian - Polish peacekeeping battalion LITPOLBAT foundation was signed. Lithuanian part was formed from the Motorized Infantry Brigade "Iron Wolf" Lithuanian Grand Duchess Birutė Motorized Infantry Battalion. This project was closed in 2007. The battalion battle flag is stored in Birutė Battalion.
On 1 January 2014 in order to retain the armed forces units historical continuity, the battalion was granted the name of Grand Duchess Birutė Uhlan Battalion, and battalion service badge was changed. In order to cherish and protect traditions and remembrances of ancestors, on 22 April the sculpture of Grand Duchess Birutė was opened, it was destroyed by the Soviet Armed Forces. In September 2014 the alley of Uhlans was founded in the battalion, where oaks as symbols of strength and power symbolize respect to the former commanders of the unit.
The battalion is proud of its barracks, having strong military spirit of our ancestors.
Grand Duchess Birutė Uhlan Battalion is equipped with wheeled and tracked vehicles (trucks, armored personnel carriers M 113 and cross country vehicles) having different lifting capacity, infantry weapons (pistols, automatic rifles, light and heavy machine guns, modern antitank systems, manual and automatic grenade launchers) and mortars of 60 and 120 mm.
The military band of the battalion is famous both in Lithuania and abroad. The band honorably continues traditions of its predecessors from Uhlan Battalion orchestra, is faithful successor of interwar period armed forces and society-days, and gladly performs for the town population, also for military units.

The main function of the Birutė Uhlan Battalion - when order is given to conduct a tactical march to the assembly area, to carry out defensive and offensive actions in inhabited and uninhabited regions in indicated area of responsibility in order to prevent enemy forces from occupying and controlling the area and provide conditions for situation stabilization in the region.

The slogan of Birutė Uhlan battalion is: Let honourable deeds of our ancestors guide our lives.

 

 
 
 
 

 
 
 

 

Updated on: 2017-10-17
Sprendimas: Fresh Media