Lithuanian Armed Forces
Go to starting pageSitemap Lietuviškai For the disabled

 

 

History

 

The King Mindaugas Battalion's history dates back to 1919 when military leader Jonas Variakojis established a platoon of volunteers which later grew into a battalion. On March 22, 1919 the battalion was named as Panevėžys battalion. Later the battalion grew into a regiment and on January 7, 1920 it was named as "The 4th infantry King Mindaugas regiment". After the fight for independence the regiment was moved to its permanent place of dislocation in Pajuostis, Panevėžys district.

President Antanas Smetona presents combat flag to Jonas Variakojis

On June 6, 1991, the Training Company was established. Algis Vaičeliūnas, Chief of Staff of the Training Unit was appointed commander of the Training Company. Back then there were approximately 70 volunteers in the Training Company.

Training Company 

On December 1, 1991, the contemporary Minister of Defence issued an order to establish Panevėžys Battalion. On August 10, 1993, the Battalion was named after King Mindaugas. In 1995 the Battalion was presented the 4th infantry King Mindaugas regiment guidon.

 

 

 
 
 
 

 
 
 

 

Updated on: 2014-01-14
Sprendimas: Fresh Media