Lithuanian Armed Forces
Go to starting pageSitemap Lietuviškai For the disabled

 

 

History

On May 12, 1919, officer J. Kubilius started forming a battalion in Ukmergė, which soon was called the Ukmergė Battalion. This unit was fighting with the Bolsheviks near the region of Salakas, later in the Zarasai region, and near Turmanas and Kaukonys.


On December 10, 1919, the battalion was reorganized into the 8th Infantry Regiment.


On February 16, 1920, the regiment was called the 8th Infantry Regiment of the Kaunas Duke Vaidotas.


On April 29, 1923, the regiment was deployed to Šiauliai.


On July 29, 1929, the regiment was given a flag under the slogan "Let our courage, stamina and love to motherland guide us".


In 1940, when the Soviets occupied Lithuania, the regiment, like the rest of the armed forces, was liquidated by the occupants.


By the Order of the Ministry of National Defence of the Republic of Lithuania as of 2 January 1992 a separate motorized amphibious battalion of the Duke Vaidotas was established. This is considered to be the establishment day of the Battalion.


By the Order No. 531 of the Ministry of National Defence of the Republic of Lithuania as of
29 July 1992 the battalion was called the Šiauliai Motorized Amphibious Battalion of the 1st Field Army Brigade "Iron Wolf".


On May 2, 1994, the battalion was called the Kaunas Duke Vaidotas Motorized Infantry Battalion.


On May 19, 1995, the battalion was presented with their combat flag under the slogan of the pre-war 8th Infantry Regiment of the Duke Vaidotas of Kaunas: "Let our courage, stamina and love to motherland guide us".


On December 1, 1999, the battalion was reassigned under the composition of the Western Military District.


On July 1, 2003, the battalion was reassigned under the Logistics Command.


On August 14, 2003, the structure and staff of the Main Support Logistics Battalion were approved.


On September 9, 2003, the battalion was reorganized into a Forward Support Logistics Battalion.


On December 22, 2003, the Duke Vaidotas Battalion was redeployed to Rukla.


On June 20, 2006, the battalion transferred the last group of servicemen of mandatory service to the reserve. A solemn ceremony was held and the most outstanding servicemen were awarded certificates of merit and souvenirs. Currently, only servicemen of professional military service are serving in the battalion.


On January 1, 2009, by virtue of Order No. V-1156 of the Minister of National Defence of the Republic of Lithuania as of 27 November, the Duke Vaidotas Forward Support Logistics Battalion was reassigned under the Motorized Infantry Brigade "Iron Wolf" of the Lithuanian Armed Forces. 

 

On March 3, 2012 battalion was reorganized into mechanized infantry battalion

 

On April 26, 2014 first rottation of United States of America armed forces soldiers has been dislocated to Vaidotas mechanized infantry battalion
 

Commanders of the Duke Vaidotas mechanized infantry battalion

 
 
 

 Lt. Col. Vytautas Lukavičius
2 January, 1992 - 30 May, 1995

 Cpt. Evaldas Stakaitis
1 June, 1995 - 8 September, 1996

 Maj. Statys Ragožis
9 September, 1996 - 16 May, 2000

 
 
 
Vadas

 Lt. Col. Petras Ročius
17 May, 2000 - 13 February, 2005

 Maj. Vidas Zabiela
14 February, 2005 - 27 July, 2008

 Lt. Col. Valdas Šiaučiulis
28 July, 2008 - 28 July, 2010

 

 

 

Lt. Col. Sigitas Mundris

29 July, 2010 - 5 February, 2012

 Lt. Col. Darius Vaicikauskas

20 June, 2012 - 25 June, 2014

Lt. Col. Vytautas Baltrunas

 26 June, 2014 - 21 July, 2016

 

 

 

  
   
 
 
 
 

 
 
 

 

Updated on: 2016-09-27
Sprendimas: Fresh Media